SOL8435: Overview of the single configuration file (SCF)
Exporting and Importing the SCF file
An SCF file is a flat text file, in the same format as the BIG-IP system files, such as the /config/bigip.conf file. You can use two primary bigpipe commands to load and export the BIG-IP system configuration: the bigpipe export command and the bigpipe import command. To do so, perform one of the following three procedures:
Creating an SCF file using the bigpipe export command
When you use the bigpipe export command, the BIG-IP system creates an SCF file using the running BIG-IP configuration in the /var/local/scf directory. To create an SCF file using the bigpipe export command, perform the following procedure:
Note: The bigpipe export command does not save the running configuration into the BIG-IP system files. To save the running configuration to the BIG-IP system files, you must run the bigpipe save all command.
1. Log in to the command line.
2. Type the following command:
bigpipe export <filename>
For example, to create an SCF file called /var/local/scf/user.scf, type the following command:
bigpipe export user
The BIG-IP system creates the <filename>.scf, in the /var/local/scf directory.
You can also specify a different path for the SCF file, by typing the following command:
bigpipe export <path>/<filename>
Loading an SCF file on a new BIG-IP system using the bigpipe import command
One of the advantages of the SCF feature is that you can take an SCF from one BIG-IP system and use it to configure another BIG-IP system. To load an SCF on a new BIG-IP system using the bigpipe import command, perform the following procedure:
1. Configure the management IP address for the new BIG-IP system.
2. Copy the SCF file to the /var/local/scf directory on new BIG-IP system.
3. Edit the SCF file to reflect the management IP address, and user account information of the BIG-IP system that you want to configure.
4. On the new BIG-IP system, type the following command:
bigpipe import <filename>
5. To save the new configuration to the BIG-IP system files, type the following command:
bigpipe save all
SCF file best practice
General guidelines for using SCF files are as follows:
* Build a BIG-IP LTM template configuration by configuring a system using the Configuration utility and bigpipe commands. Most custom UNIX configuration should be completed using the bigpipe command.
* Export an SCF file from the fully configured system, using the bigpipe export command, and store the SCF file in a safe place for future use. The SCF file can be used as a template to configure future BIG-IP systems.
* When you are ready to use the SCF file to configure a new BIG-IP system, copy the SCF file to the new BIG-IP system, and edit the SCF file prior to importing it. For example, change IP addresses, routing information, and other common settings as needed.
* Import the SCF file into a new system using the bigpipe import command.
For moving a configation to another device the SCF file might be a better choice than the UCS file due to licensing issues. I will update this FAQ as I find out more information about the SCF file.